Welcome to providence township!
Providence Township was organized in 1836. It is the only township named “Providence” in Ohio. It is located in the southwestern corner of Lucas County along the Maumee River. Two unincorporated communities are located in Providence Township: Neapolis (northwest) and Providence (south).
Providence Township is bordered by: Swanton Township, Lucas County on the north
Waterville Township, Lucas County on the northeast
Village of Whitehouse, Lucas County on the northeast
Swan Creek Township, Fulton County on the northwest
Damascus Township, Henry County on the southwest corner
Washington Township, Henry County on the west
Washington Township, Wood County on the southeast
Grand Rapids Township, Wood County on the south
Village of Grand Rapids, Wood County on the south
A portion of the South Fork of the Wabash Cannonball Bike Trail runs east and west across the northern part of the township. Providence Metropark is located in the southern part of the township along the Maumee River, with access to Bend View Metropark along the southeastern border of the township.
Fire and rescue services and provided by Providence Fire and Rescue staffed by part-time paid and volunteer firefighters and emergency medical technicians.
Providence Township maintains just over 40 miles of roads with several miles of state (U.S. 24 and S.R. 295) roads maintained by Ohio Department of Transportation and several county roads (Providence-Neapolis-Swanton, Jeffers, Heller, Box and Archbold-Whitehouse maintained by Lucas County. By Ohio law the township is governed by a three member Board of Trustees and a Fiscal Officer. All serve four year terms with two trustees elected in the odd years following a presidential election and one trustee and the fiscal officer elected in the interim odd years.